This is one of our weekly favourites and great for a chilly evening.
My last post was about the nutritional benefits of orange fruits and vegetables and this is a delicious way to include pumpkin and carrots in the one meal.
This recipe will feed around 6 people or 3 with left-overs for lunch or dinner the next day as well.
- 500 gm beef mince (try and get low fat)
- 2 large carrots – peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery – diced
- 1 large brown onion – diced
- 1 tin of diced tomatoes (400 gm)
- 250 ml of chicken stock
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- 1 pumpkin (around 2 kg) – I use Kent but butternut would be fine
- 2 tabs of olive oil
- 1 tab of chopped parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- baking paper and baking tray
- baking dish approximately 9in by 13in
- optional – 1 cup grated cheddar cheese for topping
- Heat oven to 375F/200C
- Peel pumpkin and cut into pieces – 3-4cm size and place onto baking tray lined with baking paper, place in oven – bake for approximately 30-40 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven when cooked.
- While the pumpkin is cooking – place the celery, carrots and onion in a large saucepan with 2 tabs of olive oil. Cook over medium heat until onion is lightly browned.
- Add beef to celery, carrots and onion and combine. Cook over medium heat until beef is lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock and tinned tomatoes – stir and cover. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes. Add frozen peas and parsley.
- Bring back to boil and simmer uncovered stirring frequently until liquid has reduced by at least half. The liquid left will form a sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a fork roughly mash the pumpkin on the baking tray.
- Pour the meat mixture into the baking dish
- Cover the top of meat mixture with mashed pumpkin. I use a spoon and start with a spoonful of pumpkin at each corner and then gradually cover the top. You may need to used a fork to smooth over any gaps.
- Add grated cheese if required
- Bake in 375F/200C for approximately 30 minutes or until top is lightly golden.
- Serve and enjoy.